Australian High Commission
New Zealand
Cook Islands and Niue

Consular Services

Consular Services

Consular Services to Australians living in or visiting New Zealand are provided by:

1. The Australian High Commission in Wellington provides a range of consular services to Australian citizens and permanent residents in New Zealand (south of Lake Taupo), the Cook Islands, Niue and Tokelau.

2. The Australian Consulate-General in Auckland provides a range of consular services to Australian citizens and permanent residents in New Zealand (north of Lake Taupo).
The Australian Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP) at the Consulate- General in Auckland handles Australian citizenship matters, including the registration of births of children born overseas to Australian parents.

If you require Consular Assistance, please contact your nearest Australian mission.
If you are an Australian citizen or permanent resident requiring after hours emergency consular assistance, please phone the Consular Emergency Centre (CEC) in Canberra from New Zealand on +61 2 6261 3305 (direct).

What we may do and what we cannot do

Assisting Australians overseas within limits

Consuls act to protect the welfare and interests of Australians overseas.
The Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT) sets out the standard of service you can expect to receive in its Consular Services Charter.
The Charter signifies DFAT's commitment to providing effective, prompt and courteous consular services, delivered in an equitable way, to all Australians requiring them.

We recommend that Australians who are travelling or planning to reside in New Zealand may wish to register online with the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade. Registration information helps us to find you in an emergency - whether it is a natural disaster, civil disturbance or a family emergency. Your information is strictly protected by the Privacy Act 1988. To ensure this information is kept safe during transmission the Department uses Secure Socket Layer (SSL) and Firewall technology. To register visit the Online Registration for Australians Overseas page at the DFAT website.

Consular functions are, however, governed by international agreements and there are limits to the extent we can intervene on your behalf with foreign governments or authorities. You are subject to the laws and regulations of the country in which you are travelling.

For Travel Advices and Travel Bulletins issued by the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade visit the Australian Government's Smartraveller website.